Safe Running Tips
On Sunday May 6th, Dr. Blessyl runs her first 10K race at the Sporting Life 10K Run.
Here are some safe running tips:
- During hot weather, run in the early morning or evening, to avoid heat exhaustion. Do not run when pollution levels are high.
- Keep yourself hydrated (carry water with you and drink water after your run)
- Carry a cell-phone with you in case you experience a medical emergency and let others know your running route.
- Whenever possible, run on a clear, smooth, resilient, even, and reasonably soft surface. Avoid running on hills, which increases stress on the ankle and foot. When running on curved surfaces, change directions in forward movement, so that you have even pressure on both feet during the run.
- Wear sunblock to avoid sunburn. UV rays still penetrate on a cloudy day.
Source: U.S.A. Track and Field Association, Road Runners Club of America and American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine