When you combine expert knowledge of the human body, clinical experience, a history of professional dance, over 3 decades of performance experience and continuous learning in movement science, you can rest assured that you are in good hands.
Dr. Blessyl Buan is a Toronto-based Chiropractor, Speaker, Multi-disciplinary Artist and Mom of 4. She is the Founder of BIPOC Dance Health ; a community that promotes diversity and health equity in dance health and she is the Host & Producer of Momentum Live: The Mindset, Drive, Sustainability of High Performance. Her practice has a focus on supporting birth parents during the pre- and postpartum stages and the sustainability of high performers and dancers. Her practice is inclusive and trauma-informed. Outside of practice, she is an artist and the creative behind buankissed: a hand-made jewelry line that connects Philippine ancestral materials to the diaspora.
Work as an educator:
She is a two-time national conference presenter and former Board Member with Healthy Dancer Canada where she is currently active with the BIPOC Advocacy Working Group. She is often invited to speak as a guest or an expert panelist to speak about dance health, high performance and thriving under stress. You can catch her as the Health Correspondent for Turn Out Radio CIUT FM or as an Instructor in the online course for new birth parents: “Flourish in the Fourth” on Pelvic Health Hub.
Education & Highlighted Certifications:
Continuing education is constant and is pursued in the forms of clinical rounds, online courses, peer-reviewed articles and more.
- Honours Bachelor Degree in Kinesiology from McMaster University 2001
- Doctor of Chiropractic (Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College) 2005
- Contemporary Medical Acupuncture Provider (McMaster University) 2004
- Diversity Equity & Inclusion Series via Harmony@Work – Canadian Chiropractic Association 2021
- Level 1 Concussion Management – Shift Concussion 2021
- KTaping Women’s Health -K-Taping Academy Canada 2020
Full Spine Evaluation & Adjusting: International Chiropractic Pediatric Association 2015
• Sports First Responder Certification 2015: Sport Physiotherapy Canada
• CPR & Standard First Aid (HCP) 2018 Red Cross
• Kinesio Taping Techniques KT1, KT2: Kinesio Taping in Canada 2011
• Functional Anatomic Palpation (Lower Limb): Functional Anatomy Seminars 2011
• The Orthotic Group: Compression Garment Therapy 2010
• Active Release Techniques Certification (Upper Limb) 2003
International Association for Dance Medicine and Science (IADMS)- Member
NYU School of Medicine -Harkness Center for Dance Injuries
Considerations in Dance Health-A Virtual Continuing Education Course 2020
Intro to Vocal Health for Performers 2020
Principles of Dance Medicine: Review-Best practice of Concussion for Dancers 2018
Principles of Dance Medicine: Focus on Foot on Ankle…Fitting Shoe to Dancer 2018
Principles of Dance Medicine: Survey of Dance Injuries 2018
Diagnostic Imaging for Dancers 2018
Healthy Dancer Canada Conference 2014, 2018
PAMA Conference 2014
Dance Conditioning & Pilates
- Stott® Pilates (Matwork)
- Fletcher® Pilates (Floorwork ® , Barrework ® , Towelwork® )
- Conditioning & Imagery for Dancers (Level 1)
- Progressing Ballet Technique (Beginner, Intermediate & Advanced).
Want to know the back story?
Her drive to design a practice that combined art and healing started as a child. Read My Story.